First Assassin’s Creed game released in 2007. Now the 13th game of the franchise is coming in 2023. It’s been a long journey of games, and I loved every one of them. In fact, Assassin’s Creed is my favorite video game franchise ever. And now I want to talk about Assassin’s Creed Franchise timeline to clear up the confusion. Because Assassin’s Creed Franchise does not follow a chronological order. The games are pretty mixed in between dates.
> GRAND THEFT AUTO FRANCHISE TIMELINE <
In game animus timelines goes as early as the 49 BC Ptolemaic period to the 1868 revolution era. What an epic journey… If you haven’t played all the Assassin’s Creed games before, now is the time now that Assassin’s Creed Mirage is on the way.
I’ve shared the timelines of in-animus universes. Dates out of animus doesn’t really matter because they’re all set in modern day 21st century anyway.
Assassin’s Creed franchise chronological order:
1. Assassin’s Creed Origins (49-43 BC)
- Set in: 49 – 43 BC near the end of the Ptolemaic period, Ancient Egypt. (Alexandria, Memphis)
- Released in: October 27, 2017
Assassin’s Creed Origins takes you to ancient Egypt, one of the most magical places in history. You play as a Medjay (Nomadic group from Nubia) called Bayek of Siwa who is seeking revenge for the murder of his son. Yeah, it’s a sad story.
Bayek suddenly finds himself in the middle of millennia-long conflict between the Hidden Ones (Assassin’s) and the Order of the Ancients (Templar’s) during his mission.
Assassin’s Creed Origins is the game introduced RPG elements to the franchise. Such as leveling, detailed customization, meaningful choices, and branching stories. Huge percentage of player base was frustrated with this change, but in the end, Assassin’s Creed Origins is an award-winning masterpiece.
2. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (431-422 BC)
- Set in: 431 – 422 BC during Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta, Ancient Greece.
- Released in: October 5, 2018
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey takes you into ancient Greece which is absolutely stunning. You’ll be meeting many historical characters such as King Leonidas, Socrates, Plato, Hippocrates, Herodotos, and Pythagoras. Anyone who is even slight interested in history / ancient Greece will have a blast playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.
GAMES WITH FEMALE MAIN CHARACTERS
By the way, Odyssey is the first Assassin’s Creed game that lets player choose the gender of main character. Playable characters are Kassandra which is the older sibling and Alexios. No matter which one you choose, the story is the same.
3. Assassin’s Creed Mirage (801-900 AD)
- Set in: 9th century Baghdad, during the Islamic Golden Age.
- Released in: 2023 TBE
Main character of Mirage is Basim Ibn Ishaq, whom we know from the AC Valhalla. Of course, he is much younger in Mirage. In fact, he is a street thief who is about to join Assassin’s order.
Theme of Assassin’s Creed Mirage reminds me of the first Assassin’s Creed game. Which was about the real assassins. Is Ubisoft returning to its roots? We’ll see about that soon.
4. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (872-878 AD)
- Set in: 872–878 AD, during the Viking expansions into the British Isles. (Norway, England, Vinland, Asgard, Jotunheim)
- Released in: November 10, 2020
Oh boy, I love anything Viking related. As a fan of The Vikings (2013 – 2020) TV series, I feel blessed to have an Assassin’s Creed game featuring a Viking saga. There aren’t many Viking games out there after all.
The game features historical characters such as Ivar the Boneless, King Harald Fairhair, King Aelfred the Great, Ubba Ragnarsson, King Halfdan Ragnarsson, Rollo, and more.
You become a legendary Viking to raid, kill, steal, settle, and build your political power in Valhalla. All in all, it’s a real deal Viking expedition story.
5. Assassin’s Creed (1191)
- Set in: 1191 Holy Land, during the Third Crusade. (Masyaf, Jerusalem, Acre, and Damascus)
- Released in: November 13, 2007
The saga started in 2007 with the Assassin’s Creed™. It was absolutely brilliant for its time, even for today standards! It’s the game where we meet real Assassin’s, Templar’s, Al Muallim, etc. and learn about the Hashashin order or Hasan-i Sabbah.
The Third Crusade was an attempt to reconquer the Holy Land following the capture of Jerusalem by the Saladin the Ayyubid Sultan. It was partially successful, Acre and Jaffa captured but Jerusalem couldn’t. What was the part Assassin’s played in it? Play and find out for yourself!
AC1 has a special place in my heart because it’s the only Assassin’s Creed game where you feel like a real assassin…
6. Assassin’s Creed 2 (1476-1499)
- Set in: 1476 – 1499, Renaissance Italy. (Florence, Venice, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano, and Forli)
- Released in: November 17, 2009
I don’t acknowledge Assassin’s Creed 2 as a game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece. This is the game Ezio’s own trilogy started. It’s an epic story of family, vengeance and conspiracy set in the most beautiful setting, Renaissance Italy.
Requiescat in Pace – Ezio Auditore da Firenze
You get to visit several Italian cities along the way, including Florence, Venice, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano, and Forli in their peak. What more can one ask for?
7. Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (1500-1507)
- Set in: 1500 – 1507 City of Rome, during the Italian Wars.
- Released in: November 16, 2010
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood is a direct sequel to Assassin’s Creed 2. It’s a sequel done in a right way. Great game, especially the recruitment system. Now Ezio is a mentor and can recruit fresh assassins. These recruits can be assigned to missions or called for help in time of need.
You can expect to lead a team of legendary assassin’s, conquer the city, and fight against the elect pope Rodrigo Borgia.
8. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (1511-1512)
- Set in: 1511 – 1512, Constantinople, during feud between the Ottomans and the Byzantines.
- Released in: November 15, 2011
Last game of the Ezio’s Trilogy is Assassin’s Creed Revelations. It will take you to a mystical journey to Constantinople, capital of Ottoman Empire. Seeing Ezio as an old man will be a little bit sad, but as a master assassin, he is now deadlier than ever.
At the beginning, Ezio goes to Masyaf to access the library of Altair. However, he quickly finds out that the 5 keys needed to unlock the library are located in Constantinople.
9. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (1715-1722)
- Set in: 1715 – 1722, West Indies during the Golden Age of Piracy. (Caribbean-Havana, Nassau, and Kingston)
- Released in: October 29, 2013
This time our main character is a Legendary Pirate, Edward Kenway. He is not alone either. You’ll meet almost all the infamous pirates of 1700s such as Blackbeard, Mary Read, Anne Bony, Benjamin Hornigold, Stede Bonnet, Jack Rackham, and Charles Vane.
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag introduced sailing, naval combat, and pirating to the franchise. Which is absolutely brilliant. In fact, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag turned out to be the best pirate video game ever.
i can’t even begin to describe how much fun I had while commanding my ship, recruiting crew members, plundering, and pillaging like a true pirate.
10. Assassin’s Creed III (1754-1755)
- Set in: 1754–1755, 18th-century Boston, New York City, and the American frontier during the French and Indian War.
- Released in: October 30, 2012
Assassin’s Creed III lets you play as a native American assassin with a big AXE and bow during the American Revolution era. (1754–1755)
Connor is half-British half half-Mohawk assassin. Here is the twist, his father Haytham Kenway is the Grand Master of the Colonial Rite of the Templar Order.
11. Assassin’s Creed Rogue (1752-1760)
- Set in: 1752 – 1760 North Atlantic, the fictional River Valley – inspired by the Hudson Valley, and New York City during French and Indian War.
- Released in: November 11, 2014
Assassin’s Creed Rogue claims to be the darkest chapter of the franchise. How so? It’s about the story of a former assassin who is now an assassin hunter templar. Now that’s first. We have never played an Assassin’s game as an evil templar.
In short, we’ll be witnessing events that will lead Shay down a dark path, his descend into darkness, and hunting his former brothers.
Assassin’s Creed game where you play as templar: Assassin’s Creed Rogue.
12. Assassin’s Creed Unity (1789-1794)
- Set in: 1789 – 1794 Paris during the French Revolution.
- Released in: November 11, 2014
Unity tells the story of Arno, a young man who embarks upon an extraordinary journey to expose the true powers behind the French Revolution. (1789-1794)
Hop in, experience revolution, and meet Napoleon Bonaparte, Robespierre, Dr. Gullotin, and Marquis de Sade.
Also, Unity is the first Assassin’s Creed game with the co-op mode.
13. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate (1868)
- Set in: 1868 London, during the onset of the Second Industrial Revolution.
- Released in: October 23, 2015
Set in Victorian Era London in 1868, during the Second Industrial Revolution. On this game, our main character is a criminal gang leader. Lead your gang, fight off rivals, and take London back from the Templars.
Historical characters in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate: Alexander Graham Bell, Karl Marx, Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens, Florence Nightingale, and Queen Victoria.
Leave a Reply