I hate ironman save. It is just really bad, change my mind… Sounds good and even somewhat revolutionary in theory. But in practice, ironman save mode is really bad. Probably because how it’s implemented.
Ironman save system is bad especially in 4x grand campaign games. Because it’s just simply time wasting. You can’t play in maximum speed in fear of making a mistake such as miss click, reading wrong, bad calculation, etc. Meaning, something you wouldn’t do on purpose.
Let me take it one step far, the ironman save will make you paranoid!
So, forget about achievements, have some self-discipline to avoid save scum, and play in normal mode! You’ll avoid the unnecessary stress.
Here is why I hate ironman save:
- One miss click can ruin hours of campaign.
- Saving very frequently hinders the game speed especially if you don’t have NVME SSD. (Still slightly annoying even with SSD.)
- The game might freeze for an instant and you can’t stop the easily preventable disaster event.
- It’s a bad system for forcing you to play ironman for achievements.
- Assumes anyone who don’t play ironman doing save scum…
- Ironman save file can be corrupted… (Which is the worst.)
Corrupted Ironman Save
Here is the worst thing can happen while playing Ironman. A corrupted save… All your progress is gone now and you can’t go back because there isn’t any backup save. That’s the biggest downside of ironman saves.
So, why does ironman saves get corrupted? There can be multiple reasons. First one is power loss during saving. If your computer shut down for whatever reason during saving, that save is probably going to be corrupted. Another reason would be failing hard-drive. Your SSD or HDD might be failing. Hmm, what else? A game-related bug? That would be the worst because you have no fault.
How to fix a corrupted ironman save? Ha ha ha. Sorry, there is nothing to be done. It’s gone. Better get over it quickly. Emotional control guys and gals.